Thursday, February 1, 2018

Lamb's Redemption: A Friend in Need



My life improved dramatically since Miko decided to forgive me.

It had been so long since I'd had any hope for the future, but now I could imagine it. I glanced to my left and smiled softly. Miko was attempting to cook using the grill I hadn't touched in months. My attempts at teasing her were fruitless.

"Well you're never going to use it!" she said.

"True enough," I had responded glancing at the pulse point on her neck. Ever since our relationship turned romantic I refused to drink from her. When she asked if I was hungry I said I was, but I would wait until she left. 

"How come?" she asked looking mildly put-out. "Does mine taste bad?"

"Of course not. But you are my...partner," I explained. She lifted a brow up in amusement and, had I the ability, I would've blushed. "It's inappropriate," I muttered. She seemed appeased because she had a small smile on her face.

"Did you learn those manners in vamp school?" she joked, turning back to her sizzling vegetables.


And so our new routine was established. She would come over and cook and talk about her day and I would continue to write specific instructions for my future heirs on the computer.

I couldn't show Miko. Not yet. She knew I worked in Intelligence, but I hadn't yet revealed my ulterior motives yet. It hurt her too, I think, when I was so tight-lipped, but she would just smile and continue talking about how so-and-so has the worst body odor and who doesn't like dogs?

Listening to her animated recounts of her days made me realize that I couldn't wait for the day where she wouldn't have to go home. But we settled for these small moments.


Of course, I had to go find a willing neighbor to drink from every time she left. A constant reminder of what I was and what I was fighting for.

Although, I was beginning to suspect that many of my female neighbors seemed to enjoy it more than was necessary.


It was after a day of surveillance in a van that my supervisor pulled me into his office.

"You've done good work," he started. I was surprised at his compliment since he'd made no qualms about his distaste of me in the past. Unlike my neighbors, many in the city had an understandable prejudice against people like me. 

"Thank you, sir," I responded.

"It seems one of the higher-ups wants to have an interview with you for a special project. If it goes well, I might never have to look at your crusty fossilized ass anymore." There was the hate I was accustomed to. It seemed my boss wanted me out of his unit badly enough that he would accept promoting me out.

I grinned, showing my fangs and I thought I saw him shudder.

"Very good sir. When and where is this interview?"


It was in a warehouse. It wasn't the worst part of the city, but it was next to the wharf so the smell of fish intestines was intense.

I was expecting an office building and I was wary. I could smell only one person inside the building, so I didn't think I was being led into a trap. But I kept senses on full alert anyhow.

The shock I felt when I saw a familiar face sitting at the desk in the foyer was evident. I paused and my mouth dropped open involuntarily. 

Bart McConolly was sitting in front of me. The man I head set my sights on taking down for months was casually sending emails on his tablet like this happened everyday. Maybe for him it did. I schooled my expression quickly, not wanting to give him a reason to suspect anything.

"Well come in then I don't have all day," he barked. I narrowed my eyes and began to approach the desk. I suppose he didn't like the height difference because he stood up and met me halfway.


"Mr. Lamb was it?" he said in a more polite tone. He didn't extend his hand but kept a friendly face. I nodded and he continued," I am Bart McConolly, Director of Internal Investigations."

"I know," I replied softly, making sure my teeth were on display. I didn't know what my supervisor told him, but for some reason it was important that he knew I was dangerous. Not the smartest idea, seeing as how I needed to get close to this man in order to take him down, but I couldn't resist. 

"Of course you do," he responded, not showing any reaction to my fangs. 


"I've heard that you are quite capable at surveillance. I need a man like you for a little project I've come up with." He walked around a little and, gesturing to the various setups and boxes that had yet to be unpacked, said, "This will be your base of operations. It's quiet, and close to your target,"

"And who is the target?" I asked, crossing my arms.

I swear his glasses glinted oddly before he answered, "Richard Blank."

My eyes went wide as I recalled who the name belonged to. "Isn't he the President of Sikes Inc.? The leader in weapons manufacturing and sales?"

"Ah good, you already know him. That will make this project easier then." I couldn't help but disagree. Richard Blank was famous for his paranoia and rather aggressive military recruitment leanings and, knowing this, made this endeavor even more daunting. 

"If you choose to accept this project, you will be the lead. I have another in mind who could be beneficial to your team, but you'll need at least two more. I'm sure you know some capable people who would fit the bill." He continued to smile pleasantly, and I thought of all the people he'd harmed over the years. His interference with recent laws had caused untold pain. 

"I accept."


McConolly left shortly after we went over some paperwork. It was strange to work with the man I wanted to defeat. Even though he was congenial the whole time I couldn't shake the chill that he left behind. My dead heart was warmer than he was.

I walked around the warehouse and made myself familiar with it before walking around the exterior too. I had to hand it to McConolly, the location was perfect.

But I didn't stay overlong. It had been a few days since I'd seen Miko and I was eager to get home.


I wasn't sure when she would stop by, so I thought I'd get a little workout in. Now that I was away from McConolly's presence, I felt like my normal self. Excitement was building in my gut. I was finally getting closer to my goal!

I was working on my third set when I heard a soft, "Oh!" Quickly turning around I saw Miko standing in the doorway her eyes fixed on my chest. Her face turned red and she dropped her gaze to the floor. I couldn't help the smirk. I also couldn't help but to sweep her into my arms for a kiss. It was more heated than usual

Her hands on my skin was beyond amazing but we couldn't progress any further. Birth control had been outlawed some time ago and I wouldn't risk getting her pregnant without having her under my roof first. The wait was torture, but with this new progression in my career the end was in sight.

"I got a promotion," I told her softly when we separated. 

Her face, still red, brightened. "That's great!"

"Soon, hopefully, you won't have to leave. You can stay here-" I looked down into her wide brown eyes, "-with me."

Through her sudden release of tears and they way she tightened her hold on me, I gathered that she was amenable to the idea.


The next day I met Danica Peacock, McConolly's pick for this team. I wanted to dislike her, but she was damned good at her job. She was assigned to infiltration. Coincidentally, she managed to get a job as an office manager where Blank worked. The information she brought in was invaluable.

"These locations are where Blank has recently traveled. As you can see, he's been visiting his West Africa branch sporadically throughout the year, but if you look here-" she said shuffling some papers around, "-I think there is a correlation between his visits and when the trading boats come from London..."

She knew so many details involving so many aspects of different branches of government that I could see why McConolly wanted her on the project.


"You know, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing you outside of work," she mentioned so casually I almost missed it.

"It would be nice to get drinks with everyone," I responded lightly. It wouldn't hurt for her to get closer to the rest of the team. Plus, maybe she'd be willing to spill some more personal things about McConolly after a few rounds.

"That's not what I mean, Lamb."  She said with a soft, secretive look. I couldn't respond. I didn't want Danica to know about Miko, so I couldn't say I was already seeing someone, but I also didn't want to offend Danica and risk the operation. A suspicious voice in the back of my head wondered if she was put on this team to gather intel on me.

She laughed and began to walk away. Or saunter would be more like it. "Think about it, and let me know when you figure it out."


After a few moments I heard some muffled laughter by the computers and I glared at the red-headed man making the noise.

"How do you always get the chicks man?" said Sweets. Hugh Sweets was his full name but even I didn't know that until I put him down as a recommendation for the project. He, much like Danica, was exceptional at what he did. Which was why I begged him to join this operation.

He was a techie through and through. Danica was good at collecting information, but only Sweets could process all that information into something useful. 

I shrugged and then I finally noticed what was on the computer screen. "Sweets, could you at least try to be a professional intelligence agent?"

He chuckled. "I thought you were too busy with Danny to notice," he said, giving a very obvious and painful wink.


"Mister Lamb," I heard over my shoulder. 

"Ah, a team member that doesn't try my patience," I said. I heard a 'hey' from Sweets before meeting Stephon. He gestured towards my pocket where my phone was and I knew what he wanted. Stephon's English wasn't very good so oftentimes he used the translator on my phone to tell me more specific details. 

Stephon was, for lack of a better phrase, the world's best 'get things done' man.
From running equipment to being an impromptu bodyguard, Stephon Arroyo was your guy. I had instantly liked him when I first started and that hadn't changed. Maybe it was because he seemed like such an outsider and I could relate.

A few weeks into the mission and I thought things were going well. Richard Blank was a powerful man, but his very personality suggested that he had plenty to hide. And while we compiled a list of suspicious activity, it wasn't enough to prove anything in a court of law.

Not that the law was any less corrupt than the arms dealer, but that would have to be dealt with by someone other than me.


I was happy. Not as happy as I would be when I finally got rid of that snake McConolly, but happier than I had been for a long time. But I had become complacent. That became evident the moment Sweets showed up on my doorstep.

My surprise passed quickly before I let him in. "What's going on Sweets?" I asked abruptly. Then, thinking further, "How do you know where I live?!" 

"I'm a techie, Lamb. I know where everyone lives. Now where is your computer?" I pointed to it without another thought. He knows where everyone lives?

I hadn't thought of Sweets as being dangerous. I did then.


"You need to be more careful," he said, logging on with no effort at all. Before I could stop him he pulled up my manifesto. The culmination of my hopes and dreams for the future. I pulled him away from the chair with a roar.

"What in the hell do you think you're doing?!" I couldn't remember the last time I was so angry. My fangs elongated and I could feel the intrinsic power of being a night-creature building. Sweets remained stone-faced. An impressive feat in itself. 

"I'm trying to help you," he stated calmly. At least he had the wherewithal to notice that he was in danger and responded cautiously.


"Help me how?" I demanded. "You can't just barge in and look through my personnel information like that."

"Sorry, I was just wanting to get this done quickly." Sweets sighed and rubbed his neck. "McConolly gave me a direct order to break into your computer," he admitted.

My body tensed. "Why? I thought I had passed his background checks?" I couldn't hide the fear laced in my voice. This couldn't be happening. I'd been working so hard

"He's suspicious. He's not openly paranoid like Blank is, but he's looking over his shoulder anyhow. What I just did was make your computer 'unhackable'." He smiled proudly at that and then added, "Well, not unhackable for me, but they would have to be better than me. And we both know there's no such thing!"

I paced back and forth, processing this new information. So McConolly didn't know what I was planning, he was just watching his back. My past looked sketchy to any outsider even ignoring the fact that I wasn't technically living. I realized that I was ignoring Sweets, and felt a combination of guilt and gratefulness rise in me.


"Why are you helping me?" I asked after I had managed to calm down.

"Well-" he started, looking at the bright computer screen, "-I agree with you. With all of it. My two older brothers were taken by the military when we were young. God only knows where they are now, and what despicable acts they have been brainwashed to do." I looked at him sympathetically. 

There was so much that I didn't know about Sweets. And now I knew why he was keen to join the project. Blank had powerful ties with the military and Sweets had a very personal interest in bringing him down.

"So whatever you need, I'm here to help," he put his hand out and I shook it. Miko was wonderful, and represented everything good I wanted in the future, but now, with Sweets, I had someone I could face reality with. Someone I could fight on the front lines with.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That took long enough right?

I'm not used to taking pictures for an actual story-based blog so I've been running into some hurdles. Like Lamb here always wanting to smile. He's supposed to be my angsty avenger dammit!!

Anyways, thank for reading and Happy Simming!



No comments:

Post a Comment